Thursday 4 April 2013

My first post!

Welcome to Salad and Scones!

Another food blog? Yes. But what does one do when there's so much good food around... waiting to be tried, tasted and recreated? I hope this blog works like my "Dear Diary" for experiments in the kitchen - successful ones and those gone wrong; restaurant reviews - I'll try to catalog all the hits and the misses; and any other culinary adventures that I might have while I'm grocery shopping, or traveling or just trying to find the next miracle meal that tastes good without packing the pounds. 

Why the name "Salad and Scones"? I love to bake - maybe because I have 32 sweet teeth, or maybe because it's difficult to go wrong when you're cooking with that much sugar and butter. Friends and family love sampling my cakes and cookies. But when I'm cooking for myself I try to be practical - throwing together easy, healthy dinners. I'll include dishes and recipes from both ends of the spectrum, and everything in between!


Ideally my first post would have been about a complicated and delicious looking dish. But I started this blog on a whim this afternoon, so unfortunately I'm not able to share that first-impression-is-the-last-impression recipe on my first day. Instead, I'm going to post photographs of a few of my past successes. Poor substitutes I know, but at least they prove that I can cook. They also prove that I'm a terrible photographer... but let's focus on the good stuff! I hope this attempt at blogging helps me improve my photography skills. 

Lemon meringue cupcakes - inspired from Junior Masterchef

Panna cotta with mango jelly and toasted coconut
Gotta-love-crust Blueberry Cheesecake 
Spinach, mushroom and cheddar quiche

1 comment: